Apple Pear Coffee Cake

When I was in junior high I remember using the recipe for coffee cake that was on the Bisquick box. I wanted something sweet for Saturday breakfast. It was easy. It smelled good and it was something that I could do by myself.  I was pretty proud of that coffee cake.  Dad was always a good sport and ate whatever I made.  He always told me it was delicious, even if we both knew it could have been better.  I think we both wanted something sweet that Saturday as it didn't make it to the end of the day.

A lot of years have gone by since I made that coffee cake.  It has actually been a long time since I have made any coffee cake!  That was to change as for some reason, when I looked at the load of apples and pears in our weekly CSA box, coffee cake came to mind.

It was a great decision and it didn't last very long considering the amount!  I think this particular recipe is for a large gathering, but it could easily but halved.  Halving it is what I will do the next time...


Apple Pear Coffee Cake
adapted from Taste of Home

Yield:  12-15 servings

Topping
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp cold unsalted butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tsps baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
1 1/4 cup chopped, peeled, cored apples
1/2 cup chopped peeled, cored pears

Preheat oven:  350° F.
Prepare 13 X 9-inch baking dish.

Prepare the topping
In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon.  Cut the butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.  Stir in the walnuts.  Set aside.

Prepare the cake
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.  Set aside.

Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs and vanilla.  Add the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream.

Fold in the chopped apples and pear.

Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.  Sprinkle the topping over the batter.

Bake at 350° F. for 35-40 minutes or until a tester inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

The cake was very moist....fall apart moist.  I did add a full cup of pear to the batter which was probably a mistake.  It didn't make a difference to the flavor, just the moistness.  Next time I will be obedient and follow the recipe as it is written.

I am sharing at Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage.

Comments

  1. Kate, I love coffee cake and this is one of my favorites! Two pieces with coffee please... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expected coffee in the cake not just with it. However the recipe looks great and I have loads of windfalls I can use so I'll be having a go at it soon.
    gramswisewords.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I expected coffee in the cake not just with it. However the recipe looks great and I have loads of windfalls I can use so I'll be having a go at it soon.
    gramswisewords.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'll take your recommendation and make have the recipe for just the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for linking up with Full Plate Thursday! We will have an early Thanksgiving Edition on 11-22 -16, hope to see you there!
    Wishing you a bountiful Thanksgiving!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts