Thyme Infused Lemonade


When one is looking at a pile of zestless lemons, something must be done.  Juicing them is the obvious.  So, I happily juiced away all the while thinking about what I would do with the juice.  And, yes, the obvious was freeze it or make lemonade.  Since I already had bags of "lemon juice cubes" in the freezer it had to be lemonade.

Amy, at Amy's Cooking Adventures, inspired me to think out of the box and make Thyme Infused Lemonade.  There was thyme in the garden so it would be a cinch.  My only concern was that I didn't want the thyme to overpower the lemon.


Thyme Infused Lemonade

1 1/2 cups of sugar
6 sprigs fresh thyme
2 cups fresh squeezed lemon juice
7 cups cold water, divided

Garnish
Thyme
Lemon slices

In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup of the water, the sugar and thyme to a boil.  Stir the mixture until the sugar has dissolved, about 2-3 minutes.  Remove the mixture from the heat.

Stir in the remaining six cups of cold water and the lemon juice.  Pour the lemonade through a strainer and into a pitcher.

Refrigerate until cold, about an hour.

Serve over ice. Garnish with lemon slices and thyme, if desired.

Note:  Martha's recipe suggests adding some gin.  That is a thought for a future pitcher of loveliness!


The lemonade was just right.  It had a nice lemony flavor with a hint of thyme.  It was certainly refreshing on the warm days we were having.  

This was worth making and I would definitely make it again.  It is a great way to take advantage of the lemon harvest!

I am sharing at Full Plate Thursday!

Comments

  1. I bet the fresh thyme with the lemon is fantastic. I use a LOT of thyme and love it. It grows wild in the Bahamas and I started using it a lot there and have continued to. Brilliant idea for your lemonade.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously made lemonade yesterday and wish I had thought of some herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds wonderful and so refreshing. I'm jealous of all your lemons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It won't be long until I have some thyme in my garden. What a beautiful idea for a fresh beverage. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grow thyme in my Herb Garden, this will be delicious Lemonade. Hope you have a very special week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts