Greek Village Salad

During the summer we tend to prefer the rustic Greek salads...no lettuce, just fresh garden vegetables.  They are really quite simple, comprised of the same simple vegetables but do lend themselves to a little variation in the dressing and additions.

I have previously posted two other Greek Salad recipes each one had its own appeal.  This Greek Village Salad had the addition of capers and I just cannot turn down a dish with capers!  I also liked the basic dressing of olive oil and lemon juice....nice flavor and it doesn't overplay all of the wonderful fresh vegetables.


Horiatki Salata
Greek Village Salad
adapted from It's All Greek to Me by Debbie Matenopoulos

1 English cucumber, washed and sliced, each slice quartered
4-5 tomatoes cut into wedges (I used a combination of cherry tomatoes, and heirlooms.)
A combination of green, yellow and red peppers, about 1/2 of each pepper
1/2-1 small red onion, sliced then cut in half, rings separated
1 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
8 oz. brine-packed Greek feta cheese, drained and sliced or crumbled
1 tsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp capers, rinsed and drained
2-3 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon cut into wedges
Sea salt
Fresh ground pepper

Toss the first five ingredients together in a large salad bowl.  Top with slices or crumbles of feta.
Sprinkle the capers over the salad then crush the oregano and sprinkle it.  Drizzle the lemon juice and the olive oil over the salad and allow to marinate at room temperature for 15-20 minutes. Add a few twists of fresh ground pepper and salt to your taste.

Serve with lemon wedges along the side.


This is an easy salad to adjust for two people or for ten!  This really is a perfect summer treat.

As I mentioned earlier, varying a Greek Salad is easy and I have tried a few.  This Greek Salad has dressing that includes vinegar and Dijon mustard.  This Horiatki Salata only uses olive oil.  It is hard to choose which salad is my preferred.  I think it must have to do with what is in the garden, the refrigerator and mood!

I am sharing today at Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Rattlebridge Farm.



Comments

  1. How pretty. I love capers and lemon juice too. I could eat this everyday in the summer.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Greek salads and I want to make this for a Labor Day cookout we're having. Bookmarked! Love those capers too!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks super good Kathy and sounds perfect for a hot summer day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good and I can't resist capers either.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts